Saturday, September 9, 2017

and more wanderings . . . .




Grayfriar's Bobby's gravesite
Yes the author of Harry Potter books really did write her stories here.

"Bobby"

Now here is a picture of the "Elephant House"
where the author of the Harry Potter books wrote much 
of the book's contents.

                a character from Harry Potter books
The pub behind the dog is called Greyfriar's Bobby. The dog statue is in honor of Greyfriar's dog "Bobby" there is a story behind the pub & dog, but first let me tell you that if you rub Bobby's nose you will receive all the luck you need! The story is that when Greyfriar died the dog laid on his grave every day for 14 yrs and died there. There are children's books about it. It's a true story and here is a picture of Bobby's grave. There is a church with a really old cemetary right next to the pub and Bobby is buried there. This is right in Edinburgh and many people stop by every day to get their share of good luck by rubbing his nose. The other amazing story about the cemetary is that some of the characters in the Harry Potter books were named after people's names on the really old headstones. I'll try to post a couple of pictures.

Sorry my pictures are all over the blog. . . pictures & blog not working too well together tonight. Hopefully you can match pics to the stories.

Today we visited Linlithgow Palace today which is the oldest palace ruins in Scotland. It was the summer palace and vacation place for Mary Queen of Scots. Very well preserved--pictures below. This was about 45 min. from Edinburgh. We climbed many steep winding staircases and we were happy for the exercise (too much office sitting time). The grounds were beautiful and provided a place for people to picnic and even take boats out on the lake behind the palace. We also saw Linlithgow Chapel (pictures posted). Built in the 1600's.

One of the highlights of our weekend was Friday evening when we helped teach an investigator who only speaks French. So we hooked him up through Skype with two of our French speaking missionaries and they taught most of the lesson to him. Couldn't understand a word they were saying, but it was still a spiritual experience.                                                 Thanks to all those who have sent letters--I've loved them. Goodbye for now, Sister Gifford

Old Cemetary
 how many Harry Potter names were born here?


Linlithgow Palace--and yes, we climbed all the way to the top! 
Add caption


Mary Queen of Scots
Linlithgow Palace courtyard 
NOTE: Hi mom--what's up with you? I hope you are enjoying life. Do you still listen to your books on tape? When my companion and I travel we listen to books in the car. We are starting to see wee touches of fall here--some of the trees are starting to turn, the temperature has dropped a few degrees, and the heat has come on in our flat. Today I was checking out the winter coats and boots in the store here--guess I will have to get used to my first cold winter in such a long time! I don't mind the cold weather, its the long-dark days I dread the most. It will be dark when I get to the office and dark when I leave. That's no fun!! Love you a whole bunch--consider yourself hugged.

NOTE: Hi there Rylee Jane--how are you my little sweetheart? I suppose you are in school now for at least a week or two and your life has become very busy. Are you doing any sports? I loved your first day of school picture. You and Michael both look so grown-up. What grade are you in now? I should remember, but you know how it is when you get older--the memory doesn't always perform like it should LOL! I'm sure you don't have that problem. My mission is going very well, and it's hard to believe that I have been in Scotland almost 5 months. My plan is to visit all my grandchildren when my mission ends, I'm going to stay a week with each family whether they want me or not LOL! I'll work my way from New York down to my home in North Carolina, visiting one set of grandkids after another. That includes great-grandchildren too. I sure hope you have a great school year. Write me a letter if you have time. Michael too. Love you lots. gramma G


No comments:

Post a Comment