Sunday, May 28, 2017

I've been in Scotland for exactly one week & one day now. Here are some thoughts: I don't have all the comforts of home--like a clothes dryer for instance! We have a washer about the size of a microwave. Which does a good job, but then we have to hang our clothes on drying racks in our bedroom. Because it is already damp here, last night was like sleeping in a sauna! It felt good yesterday to do some laundry and housekeeping--I haven't done anything like that since I left for the MTC, which by-the-way seems like such a long time ago. I live in Scotland now . . .WOW!

I'm still trying to get used to the money, which is pounds in Scotland. I call it "funny money!" Pennies are about the size of a US half-dollar, so you try not to carry too many of them around with you--very heavy. Usually, I just confidently hand them a funny money and if they look puzzled, I then add . . .I'm just new to the country can you help me out here. I'm always hoping for honest people cause I'm putting my money in their hands. If you use your US debit card it is a 3% surcharge, so what we do is withdraw what awe think we will need for a whole month. Gas is very expensive and purchased by the liter. Temperatures are read in Celsius and driving speeds are posted in odd places on little round plagues--at the most 10" wide. I don't think anyone looks at them. All vehicles drive fast, zoom around double decker buses (that are everywhere--big mode of transportation). The grocery stores are filled with unusual foods, some US products, but they are totally packaged differently. I've had lots of fun exploring the different products, especially the bread. Most of the larger stores have a US products aisle, but products are not necessarily the same nor do they taste the same. I've been eating a lot of salads--all stores carry small ready made packaged salads that are really yummy and easy to take to work.

Yesterday we attended the baptism of Zhao Tie, a Chinese young woman, who is attending University. We have two sets of missionaries speaking Chinese. We actually have a Gospel Essentials class for the Chinese members & investigators because there are so many. Two of the missionaries are actually from mainland China and the other two learned Chinese at the MTC. It was a beautiful baptism. Most everyone was soaking wet from the sudden rainstorm that hit just as everyone was arriving. The rain is something I have to get used to . . . I have never used a raincoat & umbrella this much before Scotland.

And then, there's the MOLD! It is so damp outside that mold grows inside like crazy. We have to wipe every surface down after we shower, when we do laundry we have to leave the washer door open for a day to completely dry out the inside. Then there is a special cloth that wicks the moisture that you attach inside the door. The mold is unusual--it grows like hair strands. Kind of like cobwebs. YA just learn to live with these little problems!!

But you might ask, "Is it all worth it?" and I would answer, "It sure is!" I feel so humbled that I have this opportunity to live amongst these fine people with their love for families and dogs. We the sun shines they are out in large number pushing their carriages and walking their dogs. Sometimes when I look out my kitchen window down to the park just across from my apartment I am overwhelmed at the beauty of nature and architectures. The Lord's work is going very well here, there is at least one baptism per week and often more. Our mission covers Scotland, Ireland and the Repulic of Ireland. My companion, Sister Call, and I have set a goal of attending church in every ward or branch in those three areas. It's a hefty goal, but would sure be fun to do.

Did I tell you about my companion? She is from SLC Utah, she is 58 years old, has 4 children, plays the organ & piano, has been a widow for 13 years (her husband also died from cancer). She has 4 grandchildren. She is very kind and outgoing. We get along really well. We hope to get out and travel on Saturdays--we don't want to leave without seeing the sights! The only really big difference between us (besides age) is that she pretty much lives on nachos & salsa & chocolate milk!! and I love pretty much anything that is food!

Today all three of us senior sisters were invited to eat lunch with the missionaries that have finished their 2 years & are leaving to go back to their homes. It's always a pleasure eating at the mission home--the food is wonderful and served very elegantly.

NOTE: Hi mom--how you doing? I wish you could see this place, but it is probably similar to some of the parts of England that you saw when you visited with the old buildings and such. Did you get to see any castles while you were there or are they just in Scotland? Hope you're feeling well and that you are enjoying life! Love you to the moon & back.

NOTE:  Hi Maxton--I've been thinking a lot about you. I miss you a whole bunch. Have I told you lately how smart I think you are! You're reading skills are right off the charts excellent and you are so careful with your homework. Good for you! How are sports coming along? Are you playing lacrosse still or is it just soccer right now?

Love to all,
Sister Gifford
mom, Jan, grams & ggma

No comments:

Post a Comment