Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Tuesday 31 May - evening 8:10 Scotland time:
It was a strange day hardly had time to think about it being my sweet husband's birthday. Life certainly does move on. . . I know he is proud of me and I'll bet he wishes he had a yellow cake with peanut-butter frosting! I miss him today and always.

Last night was another of those Scotland firsts-- we took a two story bus from work and went into the city to dinner. First off, the buses travel at the speed of lightening on really narrow streets (like Philly, Lorre). O.K. so the bottom deck was filled, so up the stairs we went. Really narrow little steps that go straight up--my big ole missionary shoes barely fit on the steps & of course, the bus doesn't slow down for you to navigate the stairs! Then we got off the bus & walked forever to get to the restaurant.
NOW I appreciate my mission shoes! The cobblestone walkways and streets are very uneven & difficult to walk on. My steel shank shoes took them on LOL! The restaurant, ZIZZI's was in a lovely location right on the canal and had really good Italian food. Finding American style eating establishments is not easy. Although they do have McDonalds & Burger King, not all over the place like in the US. I am looking forward to eating in some of the local restaurants. I've been trying local foods from the grocery and that has been fun and for the most part yummy. Our fridge is very small, so we can't buy much ahead, which means frequent stops at the store. By the way, they call hamburg "minced meat" and grind it for you

The missionary work is going well. My office skills are coming back to me and my trainer (who is also my companion), is a good teacher. My companion and I have been given 9 people to teach the Gospel to. That will be fun, but we have to fit it into our office schedule. Twenty of our missionaries went home last week and 17 new ones arrived Monday. From Australia, Ukraine, Russia, etc., and of course, the US. Several times we have been invited into the mission home to join the missionaries for lunch. That is always fun and very uplifting. One of the missionary zones in the Republic of Ireland has baptized 40 people in just a short time. All the missionaries love us senior missionaries because we bring treats for them and keep snacks in our office area for their pleasure.

The weather is ranging from 58-68 degrees. Often windy and almost always rainy & damp.

By for now,
Sister Gifford
Jan, mom, grams, ggma


NOTE: Hi Mackenzie, been thinking about you today. We are going to a place this Saturday that makes jewelry out of natural dried Heather (which is a purple plant that grows in Scotland). I will try to take a picture to send you. I understand it is really beautiful and that the village is also quaint and beautiful. Hope you are doing well. I challenge you to live each day like there was no tomorrow! I love you.

NOTE: Hi mom, how you doing? I'm enjoying myself a lot and trying to provide some grandmotherly love to these missionaries. They all miss their homes and families a lot, so they enjoy talking to us "seniors."  Hope you are enjoying my blogs. I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment